- Prep Time
- Total Time
- ½ cup leftover starter (100% hydration, meaning it is equal weight water and flour)
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ fine sea salt
- 2 large bananas
- Mike’s Hot Honey for drizzling
- Greek yogurt or whipped cream
In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk until everything is thoroughly mixed.
Crack the egg into another medium bowl, then whisk it well. Add the milk and the starter and whisk gently to break up the starter, until the mixture is homogenous. Do not whisk vigorously, as intense stirring activates gluten and the waffles will be tough. Add the melted butter, whisk again, then set the batter aside for 15-20 minutes.
After the batter has rested, preheat your waffle iron. Once the waffle iron is hot, grease it lightly, then ladle some batter in. Do not fill the iron fully with batter – as the batter expands during cooking, it can run over the sides of your waffle maker. Cook each waffle for a few minutes, until golden and crispy. Enjoy right away with a few slices of banana, Greek yogurt, and a drizzle of hot honey.